Friday, June 5, 2009

Mango Gingerbread!

It is mango season again in Kathmandu. They are plentiful and inexpensive and oh how my kids will get a reality check when we move home and they cannot consume eight of these a day! I know Trader Joes carries frozen mango though - perfect for this type of recipe (and Mango Margaritas too!).

I can't claim credit for finding this recipe - WonderMarcela my chef friend did - but I will so happily share it as it is just so incredibly delish! I reprinted the recipe below straight from Epicurious but since I am allergic to nuts I prepared it with just a simple glaze. (I forgot to take a picture after I cut the loaves ... and then it was GONE.)

Enjoy!

Ingredients:

Streusel :
1/3 cup finely chopped lightly salted dry-roasted macadamia nuts
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger

Gingerbread:
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pound ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs

Preparation:
For streusel:
Stir all ingredients in small bowl to blend.

For gingerbread:
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter 9x9x2-inch metal baking pan. Whisk first 6 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Coarsely puree mangoes in food processor. Transfer 1 cup mango puree to large bowl (reserve any remaining puree for another use). Add buttermilk, oil, and eggs to puree; whisk until blended. Add flour mixture; stir just until combined. Transfer half of batter (about 2 cups) to prepared pan. Sprinkle half of streusel over. Spoon remaining batter over, smooth evenly with spatula, then sprinkle with remaining streusel.
Bake bread until springy to touch and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool completely in pan on rack. (Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover and store at room temperature.) Cut bread into 9 squares and serve.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

YUMMY!!!! We love Mangos in our home as well. It is the time here as well for inexpensive great tasting Mango also. I love the recipe and will try it out, thanks~