Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Countdown Begins

In ten days we will be on an airplane on our way home for the summer! I say this with not only excitement but much fear and trepidation. Check this trip out.

Friday: Finish up that packing and make sure the kids do NOT ingest large quantities of sugar before heading to the airport. Wouldn't it be better if I finished that packing on Thursday? Hmmm. Have palpitations as my sweet husband kisses us all goodbye to stay here in KTM and enjoy quiet evenings at home for a month, uninterrupted sleep and a general state of order. Take the Thai flight to Bangkok and usher the monkeys to the Airport Hotel where we WILL get room service for dinner because there is no way on the good green earth I am wrangling the hoodlums to the "buffet" downstairs. It is fifteen dollars for a hamburger and I just don't care.

I won't sleep much as I anticipate the next twenty four hours. I will ask for a wake up call and will sleep lightly as we have slept through it before. Makes my stomach churn. OK - night night everyone.


Saturday: Get up at 3 or 4 am! You betcha! Corral the hoodlums back to the airport to get on airplane #2 to Tokyo lasting about 5 hours. When we arrive in Tokyo we have one hour to change planes so if that first one is late ... we are so _____ed. They'll make us go through security again and we'll hop on Plane #3 for the realllllly fun 14 hour flight! We have done this leg enough times to be a repeat customer for a couple of the flight attendants. (And let me tell you - they are not giving us hugs of joy when they see us.)

In the past one or another of the kids has:
1) Thrown up of course.
2) Handed me their underwear after having an accident in the lavatory. Niiice.
3) Pitched a Class A fit starting at check in and lasting through immigration.
and
4) locked themselves in the bathroom more than once.

They have also been amazing troopers. Numero Uno daughter is in charge of the carry on or pushing the stroller. They carry their little backpacks of surprises, books, toys etc. They are way too cute when they are asleep all over each other on the plane.

The verdict is in. We're insane.

10 more days!

Laurel

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hooray! Can't wait to see you all!

Kimba said...

Thanks for stopping by today and for the book recommendations. I'll definitely check them out.

I love the title of your blog. I'll be back to read more later.